I asked for some advice from my friends over at
- Don't link to or from bad sites
- Build your links slowly
- Don't "keyword stuff"
- Don't start your SEO without a plan - research your keywords, the market, and your competition
- Avoid automatic linking software (this is a good way to get your site banned quickly)
- Don't build your site for search engines. Instead, build it for your users. A website that is illegible because of all your on-page optimization will be useless to your users.
- Don't build a website entirely in Flash - even Flash intros should be avoided.
- Stay away from link pages. If you have a page on your site dedicated to linking, remove it and add the links back to relevant parts of your website.
- Don't hire incompetent SEO firms - instead, do the research yourself and get trained in real SEO techniques. No one cares about your site more than you.
- Any scheme that guarantees you a top rank is guaranteed to get you banned. Stay away from them!
- Don't believe everything you hear on the internet. Find what works for you. There is lots of bad advice out there.
- Don't get involved in web-rings or link farms.
If you disagree with me, leave a comment (on my DOFOLLOW blog!)